At Malan Scholes, we have a deep understanding of the South African mining industry and enjoy well-established relationships with its regulators.
Our mining and environmental lawyers will help you understand the compliance framework of the industry from a legal perspective.
We can advise you on royalties, water, waste and general environmental law, as well as any consequence arising from the introduction of the “One Environmental System” and various changes to environmental legislation. We also advise on the implications of recent court judgments and the application of the Broad-Based Socio-Economic Empowerment Charter for the Mining and Minerals Industry, 2018.
We have practical experience working on transactions involving South African and international mining and exploration companies in various jurisdictions throughout Sub-Saharan Africa.
Our services include:
- drafting and negotiating mining and resource industry specific commercial contracts
- providing regulatory advice and assistance with various applications, such as those in terms of section 11 and 102 of the MPRDA
- advising on environmental, land use and water related issues
- providing opinions on the Mining Charter and BEE obligations of mining companies in South Africa
- conducting due diligence investigations regarding mining and prospecting rights and related authorisations in South Africa and elsewhere in Africa